Thursday, February 3, 2011

Veggie Pizza and Mixed Greens

Tonight, I decided to pull out all of my veggies from the fridge and figure out how to use them up. Since I'm going to be getting my new bin full of goodness tomorrow, I needed to make some room!

I thought, why not try a pizza?  I made a simple white sauce using butter, flour, milk, garlic, smoked gouda, salt and white pepper. Then I topped some pita bread with the sauce, added chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli and beets and covered it in a mixture of shredded gouda parrana and manchego cheeses before baking.

It turned out to be the best veggie pizza that I've ever made (considering it's the only veggie pizza that I've ever made, the odds were 50/50). Although, I think that it would have been a good idea to parboil the root vegetables first.  I ended up having to take the pizza's out of the oven before the veggies were completely cooked, but it still turned out great.

While the pizza's were baking, I chopped up a mixture of leafy greens (beet, chard and collard) and added this to some simmering chicken broth with garlic and red pepper flakes.  I'm very happy with the way that the greens turned out, very simple, but full of flavor!

Now I have plenty of room in my fridge for tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment