Monday, February 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Curry

Tonights recipe is actually an adaptation of a recipe that a reader gave to me! (Thank you again!)  Although I have made a few changes and feel that it resembles more of a curry than a stew.

I put chopped onion and garlic in a large pot with some oil along with some curry powder and Sriracha (like my reader suggested) and satueed until soft. I then added julienned sweet potato, sliced onion, gold bell pepper, stalks from the gold chard (chopped), white beans (not garbanzo, because I don't really like them), a can of coconut milk, just under two cups of chicken stock and chopped ginger.  This was cooked until the sweet potatoes began to soften.  At this point, I added the chopped chard leaves and cubed tofu.  When the sweet potato was cooked completely, about 5 minutes more, I added chopped spinach, parsley (because I didn't have any cilantro), tumeric, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I also cooked some jasmine rice while the curry was cooking.

This dish turned out absolutely amazing!!  I am not normally a huge fan of curry, but I'm hooked on this.  I almost can't wait until tomorrow so that I can have it again! (And you all know how I feel about leftovers.)  I didn't add as much of the curry and the Sriracha as called for in her recipe, since Dylan was sharing dinner with me tonight I thought I should keep it on the less spicy side.  Dylan also loved it! She ate two bowls and although she still found it a little spicy, she said that it was the best meal that we've ever had, next to the root beer pot roast of course.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have the recipe for this? I'm getting my box tomorrow and will have most of the ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chanel, the recipe the reader gave to me is as follows:

    Yam Vegetable Stew 1 Tbsp cooking oil or coconut oil 1 onion, finely chopped 1 Tbsp curry powder 1/2 serrano pepper minced or 1 tsp dried chili flakes (I prefer to skip the serrano pepper and chili flakes and just use a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce) 2 quarter size slices of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped 1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1-2 peeled yams, cut into matchsticks 1 can coconut milk 1 cup water or vegetable stock 1 bunch or less of any leafy green, chopped 1/4 tsp tumeric 1/4 cup chopped cilantro juice of 1 lime salt and pepper to taste 1 can garbanzo beans optional: chopped tofu or cooked chicken, Saute onion in oil, add curry powder, serrano pepper and ginger, saute until onion soft. Add Carrot, garlic, yam, saute on medium until carrots begin to soften. Add coconut milk and broth/water, and beans/protein, if using chard, kale or beet greens throw them in now. Cover and cook until yam is soft, then stir in cilantro, tumeric, lime juice, and salt and pepper. If using spinach stir that in at this time. Serve over rice, cous cous, or quinoa.

    I made the changes as noted in my posting above. I really hope that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked it! The first time I made this I skipped garbanzo beans and tofu and just used cooked chicken and it was really tasty. I have also put green beans and cauliflower in this dish and they worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really did enjoy it. It made so much that we've actually had it the last couple of nights for dinner. Thank you for this recipe! I'll definitely be saving it for future use.

    ReplyDelete