Sunday, February 6, 2011

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

I needed to figure out how to use up all of these carrots. I decided that the best way to do that would be to make carrot cake! But, not just any carrot cake, it had to do these beautiful carrots justice.  So, I went with the cupcakes.  The cupcakes turned out amazing, having never made carrot cake before and having to substitute vegetable oil for olive oil (because half way through making the batter I found out that I didn't have any vegetable oil!), I was quite pleased with myself for the way that they turned out.  The olive oil worked out perfectly! It gave me wonderfully moist cupcakes and they weren't very greasy at all, which is a common problem with carrot cake.

For the frosting, I decided to put a twist on the traditional cream cheese frosting by adding some orange juice and zest, since I needed to get my oranges used up too.  The orange was a wonderful addition and the flavor really complimented the carrot nicely.

To top the cupcakes I decided to try and candy some carrot strips.  Now, I was a bit nervous after my previous incident with the candied orange zest, so you can imagine I was paranoid that I would burn these too.  I watched them very closely.  They didn't burn! Instead they turned out really tasty and they look really pretty on top of my cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment