Sunday, February 6, 2011

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad, Chard Stuffed Pita's and Arugula, Bacon and Apples.

It's game day!  I figured that since I have all of these vegetables in my refrigerator that I should put them to good use and come up with some healthy appetizers to eat during the game today.  The first thing I made was a salad to use up my broccoli.  I chopped broccoli and cauliflower, added onions, pomegranate craisins and chopped pepper bacon and topped this with a dressing of mayo, white wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.  I love this salad.  The addition of the sweet pomegranate craisins added a very nice touch, while the dressing had a bit of a tang to it from the white wine vinegar.

I then made a filling for some mini pita's using rainbow chard which I cooked just until wilted.  To the chard I added some onion, sour cream, cream cheese, a little hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and chopped water chestnuts.  I chose to stuff the pita's rather than dip them, because I thought it would be a no mess finger food.  Dylan proved me right, every time I see her she is stuffing another one in her mouth!

The last thing I made was very simple.  I sliced up some apples, topped them with honey goat cheese, arugula and bacon.  These were a huge hit.  A little spice from the bacon and arugula toned down with the crunch of the apples and the sweetness of the cheese. It was a great balance.

1 comment: