Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Scallops, Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Roasted Cabbage

I have to apologize. It's been a few days since my last meal posting.  It's been a rough week for me and I learned a long time ago that it's best if I don't cook when I'm in a terribly bad mood (I tend to ruin everything and nothing turns out as it should).  So, I knew that tonight I needed to make up for it. 

I've been craving scallops for a while now, but I couldn't figure out what to make with them.  I've been thinking about it and today it just came to me!  I simply seared the scallops with a little salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a little olive oil and butter.  Then I made some wonderfully tasty mashed sweet potatoes with a little salt, butter, pepper and cream cheese mixed in (these turned into the creamiest, tastiest mashed sweet potatoes that I've ever had!). To top off the sweet potatoes and scallops, I added a mixture of red bell pepper, onion, garlic and chopped rainbow chard stalks, cooked with a little butter until soft (this also turned out pretty amazing!).

 After much debate on how best to cook my cabbage for tonight's meal, I decided on roasting it.  I've never roasted cabbage before, so I wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out, but I gave it a shot anyways.  Turned out I was right to take a chance with it.  After topping it with olive oil and a mixture of sugar, salt and pepper and roasting it for 20 minutes in the oven, the result was a creamy, sweet, melt in your mouth mixture of goodness.  And, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I decided to top it with some blue cheese dressing and crumbled bacon! Wow!  I also served some asiago cheese bread from Panera Bread with it, but after the tasty cabbage, the bread was completely forgotten.

I do think that I have out done myself with tonight's meal.  In fact, I think that it will be at least a couple of hours before Dylan is hungry again (she finished off her plate and part of mine). 

Next up, I have to tackle this baby bok choy!

No comments:

Post a Comment