Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bok Choy - Stir Fry My Way


Tonight I wanted to find a way to showcase this bok choy that has been waiting patiently in my fridge to be eaten. I took off some of the larger outer leaves, sliced the baby bok choy in half and simply sauteed them in some butter (this allowed the flavor of the bok choy to come through nicely and wasn't overpowered by any additional flavor).

For the stir fry to go with my bok choy, I chopped up the large bok choy leaves, cabbage, red bell pepper, onion and carrots.  I sauteed this mixture in a little ginger, garlic and butter.  About halfway through cooking, I added some soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, salt, pepper and a little red pepper flake (my new favorite secret ingredient, yum!). This turned out to be quite a tasty dish!  Very flavorful, nothing overpowering.  You can taste each of the ingredients individually and the soy sauce was just enough so that it didn't mask the other flavors.  I'm very happy with this.

I also figured that you can't really have a stir fry without rice, however when I went to get some rice to make...I didn't have any!  I did find some wild rice pilaf (Seeds of Change) which wasn't too bad.  I think that this was a nice way to compliment the flavors of the other dishes, the white rice would have been a little too bland I think, since there wasn't a whole lot of sauce on the stir fry itself for the rice to soak up.

Tomorrow I get my new bin, which I am very excited about.  I need to go make some room in my fridge now!

No comments:

Post a Comment