Thursday, February 24, 2011

Collard Greens with Smoked Pork

I wanted to find a really tasty way to cook these collard greens that I have.  So, after a little internet research, I discovered a recipe that had actually used beer to cook the greens in. I had never thought of cooking them this way and decided that I needed to try it out.  I started off by sauteing some onions and red bell pepper in a bit of butter.  Once the onions were soft, I added some wonderfully tasty smoked pork, that I found at Whole Foods the other day, and the chopped collard greens.  When the greens started to wilt I added a cup of water and a can of beer.  I brought this to a boil, lowered the heat to just a simmer and cooked it for about 20 minutes. 

While the greens were cooking I made some rice. Now, I forgot (again) that I don't have any white rice!  After rummaging around in my pasta/rice drawer, I found a couple of bags of leftover rice (this is the rice from mixes, bags, etc. that never gets used but I, for whatever reason, decide to keep). So I put these into a pot with some water and boiled it until cooked.  The rice turned out quite tasty actually.

I placed the greens on top of the rice, sprinkled some cheese on top and called it done!  For being such a simple dish, it really turned out quite good.  Dylan loved it so much that she decided I need to make it more often!  I just might do that, however I'm really looking forward to my new bin tomorrow so that I can come up with some new dishes to make too!

No comments:

Post a Comment