Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken Drummette's and Scalloped Fennel, Celery Root and Potatoes!

My dinner tonight was inspired by the fact that I had fennel and potatoes in my bin, which is really all you need to make my favorite dish ever, scalloped potatoes and fennel. However, tonight after trying to figure out what in the world to do with celery root (which I'd never before cooked with, let alone had any idea what it even tasted like), I decided to add this to my scalloped dish.  That was by far the best idea!  It turned the already incredibly creamy dish into an even more flavorful creamy dish (sliced fennel, potatoes and celery root, drenched in heavy whipping cream with a little white pepper and salt, then baked in the oven for 45 minutes).  Celery root has officially become one of my favorite foods to cook with.  I am actually already trying to figure out what else to make with it!

After wandering through Whole Foods with Dylan and her friend this afternoon, I finally asked them what they thought I should make with the potato dish.  They immediately decided chicken, but not just any chicken, chicken drummette's.  So, I referred back to my favorite way to eat these (thanks to my wonderful stepdad, who first introduced me to them).  I sprinkled them with garlic powder, black pepper and lavender salt (because I didn't have and couldn't find anywhere, the hickory smoked salt that should have been used) and baked them in the oven for about 25 minutes.  Dylan's friend exclaimed "This is the best meal that I've ever had!", meaning that she loved the chicken and the bowl of mixed fruit that I had made for them.

I also threw in a salad, just some greens (arugula and red butter lettuce) topped with some blood orange and manchego cheese, and some cooked green beans.  I meant to have the hollandaise sauce on top of them too (because this was so wonderful, that I've been thinking about it all day long), but apparently you aren't supposed to warm that up in the microwave.  Although, it still tasted like it was supposed to, it definitely didn't look like it was supposed to.  I figured it wouldn't make for a very appetizing photograph, but definitely a nice addition to this meal too.

No comments:

Post a Comment