Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Curry Carrot Soup

Well, I have to say that my lack of blogs this week is not due to the fact that I haven't been cooking.  I haven't really made anything all that noteworthy! It did however occur to me that the fact that my food has been lacking in flavor may have something to do with the rather 'blah' mood that I've been in since Friday.

Saturday I said "Forget it!" and just steamed some asparagus, drizzled balsamic vinegar over it, sprinkled some shredded cheese on top and called it dinner. Sunday I atleast put in a bit of effort boiling some new potatoes, quartering them and covering them in a tomato mustard sauce before placing them on top of a bed of steamed broccoli and asparagus.  This dinner had quite a bit of potential actually, it was just lacking something that I still can't quite decide on. Monday, however, was the last straw for me when I tried to make something a bit more creative. I sliced some asparagus and placed this on a sheet of puff pastry spread with honey goat cheese, rolled this up and sliced it into rounds, baking at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. I also made corn on the cob and shaved the corn off the cob, adding the usual sour cream and chili pepper to it, because I really wasn't in the mood to deal with corn getting stuck in my teeth. To go along with this I made some broccoli with a little garlic salt and butter. Now at first glance Monday's meal might seem rather good, however this was just not the case.  The middle of my puff pastry refused to cook, while the bottoms were overly cooked and I added way too much garlic salt to the broccoli so by the time I even attempted to eat my corn I was too disappointed to even enjoy it!

Which brings me to tonight's dinner.  I was on a mission not to repeat my poorly made meals from the last few nights and find a way to use up all of my carrots, so I decided on soup! This turned out to be a pretty good idea actually and since I had curry on hand from making hummus a couple of weeks ago, I added that in too. 

I started the soup by adding a chopped onion and a couple of heads of garlic, minced, to a large stock pot with some olive oil.  When the onion was translucent, I added a spoonful of curry powder and stirred to coat the onion, then I added two bunches of peeled, chopped carrots and stirred to coat them.  Next I poured in one 32 ounce carton of vegetable broth and brought to a simmer. This was left to cook for about 20 minutes, until the carrots were soft.  Since my blender is broken, I had to add this in batches to my small food processor and blend until smooth.  To serve, I topped with a bit of sour cream and shredded gruyere cheese.  Now this was good.  Even Dylan enjoyed it and she didn't even mind the spice!

No comments:

Post a Comment