Monday, May 16, 2011

Tofu, Roasted Asparagus and Mixed Salad

While roaming through Trader Joe's tonight trying to figure out how I was going to cook my tofu for dinner, I came across this wonderful sounding Island Soyaki sauce. It's a mixture of pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds. Yum.  So I brought it home, sliced up my extra firm tofu and marinated it in the sauce for roughly 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, I cooked the rice and placed the asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet and baked for 15 minutes in a 425 degree oven.  I also prepared the salad, chopped heirloom lettuce and spinach with a light dressing of fresh squeezed juice from one tangerine and a bit of white balsamic vinegar. To top it off I added some sliced tomato and fresh mozzarrella.

For the tofu, I just simply seared it over medium high heat for a few minutes per side, just until browned and called it good.  I also took the remaining sauce and simmered it down with a bit of rice wine vinegar to make a glaze.

I finished off the asparagus with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and plated it all up.  The whole meal took around 45 minutes (including marinating time!), so this was a great Monday night meal.  It also tasted pretty good, and that is saying a lot considering I've only just recently started cooking with tofu and have never really liked it.  Dylan really liked  it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment