Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Heirloom Salad with Creamy Citrus Dressing

I decided to continue with the seafood theme this weekend by making shrimp! I've never cooked raw shrimp before so I thought that I would give it a try. I started off with the shrimp wrapped in half a slice of bacon and sprinkled both sides with fresh ground black pepper and paprika. This was baked in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes (until cooked through).

I also figured that the best side to serve with this would be a citrusy salad. I made the dressing using mayonnaise, red vinegar, fresh orange juice, fresh lemon juice, lemon and orange rind, fresh thyme, salt and pepper mixed until well blended. After rinsing and chopping some of the heirloom lettuce, I poured the dressing over top to coat.  I also served this with some cucumber salad, halved radishes and sliced avocado.

This turned out quite tasty! The bacon was perfectly cooked and the shrimp not at all overcooked like I thought it might end up being. The salad also turned out great, even if I did add a bit too much thyme to the dressing. The leftover dressing will also be great with some cauliflower and broccoli for a snack tomorrow.

Tonight, I was also able to make a tasty pomegranate plum cocktail (courtesy of my wonderful boyfriend) to serve along with my Mother's Day dinner! (Pearl Plum Vodka and Pomegranate juice.) Very tasty!

1 comment: