Monday, May 2, 2011

Leek, Mushroom and Chard Tart

This recipe actually comes from the New Roots website. It was the recipe of the week last week and I said, "I have to try that!".  I'm sure glad I did too! I also pretty much followed the recipe, the only thing I added was the mushrooms and I used fresh thyme instead of the dried stuff.

I started by thawing a sheet of puff pastry, rolling it out, placing it in a pie plate, crimping the edges and placing in the fridge until ready to be used.  Next, I added 3 chopped leeks and 2/3 cup of chopped crimini mushrooms to about 2 tablespoons of butter and added some salt and pepper. These were cooked until soft and then I added the chopped rainbow chard (stems removed). The mixture was cooked just until the chard was wilted and then removed from the heat to cool.

For the egg mixture I put just over a cup of whipping cream in a large bowl and added 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks, salt, pepper and a little nutmeg until just mixed. I then added the leek mixture to the egg mixture and poured this into the pie crust.

The tart was baked at 425 degrees (in the lower third of the oven) for 15 minutes and at 350 for about 25 minutes (it took longer to cook because of the added moisture from the mushrooms).

I have to say that this turned out really well! Even I had seconds tonight (and I hate anything with eggs being a key player)!  Dylan is currently on her 3rd plate and she is really loving it!

2 comments: