Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dylan's Stuffed French Bread

When Dylan got home from school today, one of the first things that she asked me was if she could make an appetizer for tonight's dinner. She was so excited at the thought of being able to cook, that I decided we better just make that the whole meal!  So, off to the store we went. Dylan was on a definite mission to find the perfect bread for her dish. She decided that it had to be fat and soft, none of that crunchy, thin stuff. Once the bread was taken care of, off to the cheese aisle.  Havarti, with it's creamy texture seemed to do the trick.

Once home, Dylan raided my vegetables, deciding that cucumber, zucchini, spinach and onion would be the best mixture to stuff her bread with.  Now, being the only thing that I really had to help her with, I sliced the bread (but not all the way through, it still had to be one piece so that she could stuff it!).

After the vegetables were all chopped up, this was added to a large saute pan with a little bit of olive oil. She sauteed the mixture just until it was softened and the spinach slightly wilted.  The bread was then stuffed with this mixture and the cheese went on top to cover.  This was then baked in a 350 degree oven, covered, for about 10 minutes. Just long enough to melt all of the cheese.  Then uncovered for another 5 minutes, to crisp up the bread a bit.

Oh my gosh! This bread turned out amazing.  It has become a huge hit and Dylan is definitely proud of herself for this dish (as well she should be!). I don't think that I could have done it any better myself.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing - what a little chef we've got in the making, but then she really had no choice!

    ReplyDelete