Thursday, May 5, 2011

Maple Sausage, Fried Potatoes and Steamed Cabbage

Well, tonight's meal comes from several different cravings that I've had lately!  I think that the maple sausage and fried potatoes are pretty much a given, but the cabbage?  For some crazy reason, I've been missing just basic, steamed cabbage. My mom used to make it when I was younger and I don't think that I've had it since!  So, there you have it.  I sliced up chunks of cabbage and placed it in a pan with a small amount of water and about 2 tablespoons of butter and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until it became a buttery soft and beautiful bright green.

Because you can't just eat cabbage for dinner, I decided to also give in to the maple and brown sugar sausage that I've been wanting (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, yum!).  And to keep with the theme, I chose to make fried potatoes. I added chopped potatoes and onion to the same pan that I cooked the sausage in and added a little salt and pepper. I cooked this until the potatoes turned brown and crispy.

Dinner tonight was very simple and definitely comfort food! It was very satisfying and since I don't eat this way very often, I chose to finish my meal off with some salted caramel chocolate cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment