Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage

I knew that I had to use this beautiful head of cabbage before tomorrow, so when I ran across a recipe for stuffed cabbage I figured I should give it a try.  It was really quite easy to make.  I made a pot of rice, and set a large pot of water to boil for the cabbage leaves and boiled them for about 5 minutes, just to soften them up.  In a large bowl I mixed together ground beef, chopped onion, a couple spoonfuls of canned tomato soup and canned fire roasted diced tomatoes, a beaten egg, salt, black pepper and when the rice was done, I added a cup of rice and mixed it up until just combined.

I placed a spoonful of the meat mixture into each of the cabbage leaves, rolled it up like a burrito and secured with toothpicks.  These were then placed into a large saute pan and covered with the remaining tomato soup and diced tomato. I brought this to a boil and reduced the heat to low and simmered for 45 minutes.

I still can't believe how easy this dish was and it turned out great! The bottoms of my cabbage did get a little overcooked though so next time I might consider placing some of the tomato soup on the bottom of the pan first, but really I couldn't even taste that they were over done. It was more just me being picky about the visual aspect of it when I picked them up.

Dylan is currently on her second one and says that dinner is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment