Friday, June 24, 2011

Veggie Soup!

Because I have SO many vegetables in my fridge, acquired from the last couple of weeks of not being able to cook very much. I decided that it was definitely time to make a soup, especially since I had kale in my bin today and it is so tasty in a vegetable soup.

To a large stock pot I added chopped spring onion, rhubarb, celery, carrot and minced garlic. I sauteed this in a bit of olive oil and butter, just until the onion became translucent and the vegetables started to cook a bit. I then added chopped asparagus, red bell pepper, yellow squash and tomatoes along with a few sprigs of fresh thyme. To this I added 2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock, some sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, I brought to a boil and simmered until all of the vegetables were cooked through.  Then chopped kale, shelled peas and drained, rinsed white beans were added to the pot.  The soup was cooked just long enough for the kale to wilt and the beans to be heated through.  Once the soup was done, I added some chopped fresh parsley.

Honestly, the only thing I would have done differently was leave out the white beans. I'm not a huge fan of white beans as it is so maybe I just really wasn't in the mood for them, I think that this soup was hearty enough that I could have left those out. Other than that, this soup was extremely filling and very tasty!

Aidan (the pickiest eater in the house) preferred my soup to the canned chowder that his father gave him. I took this as a huge compliment considering he usually does not enjoy my food, but after picking out the red stuff (peppers and tomatoes) and the kale, he really enjoyed it! He said that if it didn't have that stuff in it he would be gobbling it up! His favorite part was the asparagus and yellow squash.  I'm so happy that I finally got some vegetables in him!!! Breakthrough!!

Dylan also really enjoyed it and I have enough left over to put in the freezer so that Greg can take it with him to the cabin. 

I'm extremely happy that I was able to cook dinner tonight, as it's been way too long since I've gotten to on a Friday and I was able to use up many of my vegetables and make room for the new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment