Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tiki Pulled Pork Sliders with Simple Spinach Mango Salad

I seem to be on a pork kick these days, but really is there anything better than pulled pork? When done right it really is my favorite thing to eat and usually the only time you will ever find me craving meat. So, when I came across this Tiki Pork Starter at Williams Sonoma, I absolutely had to try it. This sauce has pineapple, soy, onions, cider vinegar, crushed red pepper and spices which is poured over a boneless pork shoulder cut into four pieces and slow cooked on high for 4 hours.  I added a thinly sliced, halved onion to the cooker as well for some added texture and flavor.

After shredding the pork and mixing this back into the sauce, I piled it on top of toasted mini brioche buns with a little gruyere cheese and diced tomato.

To serve alongside this, I made a simple salad of chopped spinach with a light dressing of fresh orange juice, salt and black pepper. The salad was topped with chopped mango.

I also picked up a bottle of Whiskey Pickles from Williams Sonoma and served this with the sliders.

This Tiki sauce was worth every penny and I now have enough leftovers for dinner tomorrow night, which will be great considering how busy the rest of my week is going to be. The pork turned out moist and full of flavor, just like it should be.  The addition of the onion proved to be a wise choice too.

I am also pretty happy with the decision to add just a simple salad with this dish, since there is so much flavor going on already and the mango complimented the pork really well.

Dylan enjoyed this so much that she had 3 relatively good sized sliders. Honestly, I don't think that I have ever seen her eat so fast. Before I even had my first one finished she was almost done with her second and asking for a third.

2 comments:

  1. This does look really good. Its always so weird to see a meat recipe on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I've been doing a few meat recipe's lately, but I do know what you mean, I really don't cook with meat very often.

    ReplyDelete