Monday, June 27, 2011

Salmon, Potato Salad and Tomato Cucumber Salad

Dinner tonight turned into a meal of salads with a side of salmon. It wasn't actually meant to be that way when I started out and I was originally going to make up some asparagus, but I was too tired today so I just made a quick salad to go with the leftover potato salad that I made over the weekend. I was also supposed to have some nice bread to go along with it, but waiting for that to warm up proved to be too much effort even. I'd say that even with the added shortcuts to dinner tonight it still turned out pretty decent though.

However, I did overcook my salmon by a few minutes unfortunately. I happened to get distracted (apparently easy to do today) and forgot that it needed to come out of the oven. Thankfully the sauce that I marinated it in added enough flavor that it made up for the dryness of the overcooked fish. The sauce that I made to marinate the salmon in for about an hour before cooking it at 425 for what was supposed to only be about 20 minutes, was made up of a mixture of fresh orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, salt, ground red peppercorns and cinnamon.

The potato salad that I made over the weekend was just cooked, cubed potatoes mixed with a mayo sour cream dressing which also included chopped pickles, onions, salt, black pepper, fresh thyme and parsley. I also added a few chopped hard boiled eggs.

For the tomato cucumber salad, I simply chopped up some tomatoes, red onion and cucumber and added this to a bowl with rice wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, black pepper, chopped fresh parsley and a bit of sugar to taste. This was stirred just to coat and set aside while I made the rest of the meal.

Overall I was pretty happy with the way that everything turned out, I just really wish that I hadn't overcooked my salmon. It turned out so dry that my daughter didn't even ask for more and she LOVES to eat salmon. Better luck next time I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment