Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Spinach, Fennel and Cauliflower

Earlier today when Dylan busted me for eating chips and dip, saying "Hey, I thought we were eating healthy!", I started having second thoughts about tonight's meal.  So while we were walking through the grocery store picking up the few remaining ingredients, aka, gorgonzola, I was looking at all of the nutrition facts immediately picking the ones with lower fat, calorie and sugar contents, just so that I could feel better about my pasta dish tonight.  As it turns out, I was right to go ahead and make it.  My fettuccine, spinach, fennel and cauliflower with a wonderfully rich gorgonzola sauce was perfect!  And, of course, I served this with a slice of fresh garlic bread, not the kind with the gross fake garlic flavored butter on it, but the delicious kind with the garlic chunks baked right in it.

Making this dish allowed me to use up most of my spinach and cauliflower.  I added the fennel at the last minute, even though my refrigerator threatened to ruin it by somehow managing to freeze it.  As it turns out, it tasted just fine once it was cooked and added in with the rest of my dish, but the greens that I typically would have used as a garnish, just couldn't be saved.

Dylan, tonight at least, swears that this IS the best meal that I've ever made, and after watching her scarf down two huge bowls of it, and me finishing off one large bowl of it in under 5 minutes, I would have to agree.  This meal is definitely on my top 5 meals of all times list.

2 comments: