Sunday, January 30, 2011

Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes with Turkey

The only real experience that I have with red beets are the canned ones that you normally find at the salad bar, so when I got them in my bin this week I wasn't entirely sure what to do with them.  After searching the internet for ideas on how to cook them, I decided that roasting would be the best way to bring out their flavor.  I also thought it would be a good idea to combine them with some of the sweet potatoes that I have. It turned out to be a great idea, the sweetness of the two vegetables, roasted with onion, garlic and some of the beet greens, was a great combination.  I topped the sweet potato and beet mixture with some crispy dry rub bacon and feta cheese. Yum!

I would have been perfectly happy just eating a huge bowl of this, but knowing Dylan, she was going to want some meat to go with it.  We decided to pick up a roasted turkey breast from the grocery store and opted out of doing anything more than that since the flavors are so rich.  I wasn't entirely pleased with the turkey that we bought, it was a bit on the dry side and I'm really wishing that I had made a lot more of the sweet potatoes and beets.  I will definitely be adding this to my list of dishes to make again!

5 comments:

  1. Hi CookingGirl,

    Did you cut up the beets before or after you roasted them?

    I've been thinking about ordering New Roots again but when I had it before I could never use everything before some of it spoiled, even though I had the personal size bin. So I was happy to find your blog - maybe it'll give me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut the beets up to the same size as the sweet potatoes, before roasting them. They took about the same amount of time to cook that way.

    I hope that I am able to inspire some ideas for you! I've also found that I have a lot left from the bin before, however, it helps me to have such a large variety to cook with. I think that it gives me even more ideas that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I've found that wrapping up all of the veggies (lettuce, chard, carrots, etc.) in paper towels and then placing them in large freezer bags, before putting the into the refrigerator helps keep them from spoiling so quickly. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love roasted beets. I think I'm going to sign up for New Roots again starting next month - and keep tabs on your blog for ideas for recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! I looked forward to the bin all week long, and I love hearing about others that have signed up for it too!

    I am now also a huge fan of roasted beets, that was the first time that I'd had them. Yum. I can hardly wait until next week when I get more!

    ReplyDelete