Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cabbage Soup - Revisited

Earlier today I asked Dylan if she had any ideas for our cabbage tonight and she suggested cabbage soup. At first I wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea, but it's what she wanted, so I decided to see if I could make a more flavorful variation.  I chopped up some carrots, parsnips, onion, celery (which wasn't in my bin, but I happened to have already), ham and cabbage.  I threw this into a large pot to which I also added some minced garlic and covered it about halfway with broth (I used a mixture of vegetable and chicken broth, since that's what I had on hand) and added enough water to completely cover all of the vegetables.  To this I also added the rind from some gouda parrana that I picked up from Whole Foods the other day and a bit of fresh thyme, and I simmered it for about an hour while I worked out on the Wii.  Then I added a can of white beans and simmered just long enough to heat them through.

I have to say that I am quite pleased with this soup.  It isn't the traditional bland soup that it's typically known for, and has a huge amount of flavor.  I also served some really tasty crunchy dutch bread that I picked up at the store today and topped it with more of the gouda cheese.

Dylan is now on her third bowl of this soup and I'm about to get myself a second one as well.  Also, as big a hit as this soup was tonight, I'm not going to end up with a huge amount of leftovers, which I'm quite happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment