Thursday, January 20, 2011

Leftovers...

I am not a big fan of leftovers.  Although I did have some of the gorgonzola pasta today for lunch, the thought of having it again for dinner just wasn't sitting well with me, no matter how tasty it was, so I gave the leftovers to Dylan. I did however need to use up some of the fruits and veggies that I still have since I will be getting a new bin tomorrow.  So I grabbed all of it out out of the fridge and set out to use it for a simple salad.  Refusing to have another spicy dressing disaster, I decided that I would make my own.  Originally I wanted to make a balsamic vinaigrette, but when I reached for the balsamic it had somehow managed to solidify.  I have never heard of balsamic vinegar doing this, unless it's been around for quite some time, which mine had not, so I can only assume that the lid wasn't on properly and that it should not be stored next to the stove top.  I was able to come across some white wine vinegar though, to which I added some minced garlic and a bit of lavender salt with olive oil and poured this over top of my spinach and leafy greens.  To top my salad I used sliced carrots, grapefruit, pears and avocado.  As a side to my salad, I broiled some of the sliced garlic bread from last nights dinner topped with the remaining gorgonzola.  The bread and the salad complimented each other very nicely.

After the last few tasty meals that I've made which weren't the healthiest ever, I feel this made up for it very well.  I've also noticed that rather than craving my usual pistachio ice cream for dinner, I was craving fruits and veggies, which I never do and was quite happy about.  I think that's a great sign and can't wait for tomorrows delivery! 

1 comment: