Monday, January 31, 2011

Flank Steak with Stuffed Mushrooms and Escarole Salad

Well, I'm continuing to prove how terrible I am at cooking meat.  I attempted to make a flank steak tonight, which is something that I normally wouldn't do, but the meal idea that I had seemed like it called for it.  I marinated the steak in some hard apple cider with some red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.  I pan grilled the steak and I may have overcooked it a little bit.  I also think that it was lacking a little in flavor.  On the other hand, for being the first flank steak that I've ever made, it wasn't all that bad.

I also took the marinating juices and cooked them down to make a sauce for the steak.  This turned out very tasty and helped add some moisture to the steak.

For the stuffed crimini mushrooms, I just made a quick mixture of cream cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and some chopped mushroom stems.  These were baked in the oven until hot and were definitely the highlight of tonight's dinner.

I made a simple salad of escarole, oranges, carrots and apples.  The dressing was just simply the juice squeezed from the remaining orange once the segments were cut out.  It was a very light, refreshing salad, that I am quite pleased with.

All in all, I'd say that this meal was pretty good, I just think that I proved once again, that I need some more practice cooking red meat.

4 comments:

  1. I get new roots weekly too and thought it would be fun to follow your blog. Want a fabulous yam stew recipe that uses any kind og greens? It's great for using up the greens in our bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for reading my blog! I'd love to see that recipe. It sounds great! I seem to have a fridge overflowing with greens that I can't use fast enough! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yam Vegetable Stew

    1 Tbsp cooking oil or coconut oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 Tbsp curry powder
    1/2 serrano pepper minced or 1 tsp dried chili flakes (I prefer to skip the serrano pepper and chili flakes and just use a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce)
    2 quarter size slices of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
    1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1-2 peeled yams, cut into matchsticks
    1 can coconut milk
    1 cup water or vegetable stock
    1 bunch or less of any leafy green, chopped
    1/4 tsp tumeric
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    juice of 1 lime
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 can garbanzo beans
    optional: chopped tofu or cooked chicken, 

    Saute onion in oil, add curry powder, serrano pepper and ginger, saute until onion soft.

    Add Carrot, garlic, yam, saute on medium until carrots begin to soften. Add coconut milk and broth/water, and beans/protein, if using chard, kale or beet greens throw them in now. Cover and cook until yam is soft, then stir in cilantro, tumeric, lime juice, and salt and pepper. If using spinach stir that in at this time.

    Serve over rice, cous cous, or quinoa.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks!! this sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete