Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Collard Greens

Tonight, after a long 4 days of reading every recipe I could find, trying to figure out the best way to cook them, I successfully conquered the collard greens.  I cooked them with some bacon and onions, topped them with sauteed apple chunks (cameo, because that's what I had in my bin this week) and baked sweet potato slices with some fresh made cornbread that I picked up at the grocery store.  I'm usually not the biggest fan of cornbread but I figured this meal called for it, and I am now a huge fan of collard greens. 

Although not super healthy and I now feel like I should be doing my Wii Fit three times as much as I am this week, it was a delicious dinner, full of flavor.  Dylan swears it was one of the tastiest meals yet, although, I think she's just saying that because I finally made a meal that was accompanied by cornbread.  I do think that if I were to make this dish again, I would probably use a firmer apple to saute and about half as much bacon drippings to cut some of the fat.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with all this spinach that I keep acquiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment