Saturday, January 22, 2011

Halibut, Chard, Carrots and Potatoes

After Dylan and I ate our way through the mall today (Red Mango, Godiva and Pretzel Time), we decided that we would really like to have a meal with fish in it for dinner.  So, we went to our favorite place, Whole Foods Market, and asked the guy at the seafood counter for tasty, flaky white fish and we were given halibut.  I came home and immediately started trying to figure out what I was going to make with it and how I was going to cook it.  It isn't often that I cook fish and when I do it is always salmon.  After about an hour and a half of cooking, we finally got our fish dinner, which turned out so good that Dylan finished off her plate and is currently working on mine.

First I made my potatoes, which turned into a sort of cake-like mashed potato, that I made with a mixture of mashed potatoes, butter, sour cream and egg, baked in the oven.  Then I made the red chard, onion, white wine dish used as a bed for the halibut that I broiled with a little butter, lemon and thyme. I topped the halibut with a bacon, garlic, bell pepper and onion relish.  Lastly, I made carrots in a honey ginger sauce.

Everything was really easy to make and turned out very well, except for the potatoes which I slightly over cooked because I forgot about, but still turned out edible. Of couse, had I not filled up on the extra pieces of my favorite black forest dry rub bacon from Whole Foods, I might have eaten a lot more of it.

Now it's time to clean up the horrible mess that I made in the kitchen (which probably won't happen until tomorrow) and figure out what I'm going to do with all of this cabbage that I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment