Thursday, September 1, 2011

Kale and Potatoes

This meal turned out nothing at all like what I had intended. I started off by making a soup with kale, squash, carrots, red bell peppers, parsnips, some chard, salt and fresh ground black pepper. When the leaves began to wilt, I added about a cup of chicken stock and some white beans.  This was simmered until the carrots and parsnips were cooked through.

I decided to put this somewhat thick soup into a glass baking dish and top with mashed potatoes, because I had a lot of potatoes and needed to use them up somehow.  I also topped that with shredded cheddar cheese and baked in the oven on 425 until the cheese was melted and began to brown.

I didn't actually plan on the potatoes incorporating themselves into what little liquid there was in this dish, but that is exactly what they did.  Fortunately, this "mistake" turned out to be quite alright.  The potatoes turned it into a creamy soup and the added flavor of the cheese was delicious.  I may have to remember this recipe the next time I am in the mood for some comfort food!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. I'm going to have to make that for my kids! My husband would like it too as he is a vegetarian.
    I'm thinking of taking a bunch of my produce from this weeks bin, the red potato, red onion, celery, gypsy peppers and throwing it in the crockpot with some broth and spices and maybe I'll throw in some garbanzo beans and tomato paste at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I love that idea, it sounds excellent and I think that I might have to try something like that! =)

    ReplyDelete