Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eggplant and Black Bean Nachos

The first thing I did after work today was go to Target to pick up a can opener and lucky I did! I found a $20 can opener that was on clearance for just $3! Talk about starting the night off right.  I also went to Safeway for a few of the remaining items on my list for dinner.

Since it's just me tonight, I wasn't really in the mood to make anything fancy and more into figuring out something quick and easy. So, I decided to take some of the leftover eggplant mixture (eggplant, yellow squash, gypsy peppers, onion, tomatoes and garlic) from last night and reheat in my large saute pan. To this I added some rinsed and drained spinach. Once the spinach began to wilt, I removed the mixture from the heat.

Time to assemble! I started off with a layer of white corn tortilla chips and sprinkled with a few spoonfuls of rinsed and drained black beans. Next, I added a layer of the eggplant spinach mixture, some chopped tomatoes and covered in shredded cheddar cheese.  This was baked in a 350 degree oven until the cheese was melted and the beans were heated all the way through.  I also served with a spoonful each of guacamole and sour cream.

Okay, so I get that I'm supposed to be eating healthier this week and nachos are not exactly healthy, but this was SO good! And, as far as nachos go, I'm calling this a healthy version because they definitely could have been worse. Besides, I'm sure I will find a way to make up for it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment