Friday, September 16, 2011

Bread, Eggs and Veggies

My dinner last night started off with bread from the store which the cashier gave to me for free. Apparently there is a new policy at Safeway that they can't charge customers for bread that isn't warm. I'm not complaining, fresh baked bread for free? Sign me up!

However, when I got home and jammed the sharp end of a garlic clove (unpeeled) under my fingernail, I should have known I was about to screw something up.

I sliced and buttered a few slices of the fresh bread, placed on a baking sheet and baked in the oven on 425 just until the butter was melted and the edges began to brown. For the veggies, I added diced onion, sweet peppers and minced garlic to a saute pan with a bit of oil and allowed this to cook until the onion became translucent. I then added halved cherry tomatoes and diced striped zucchini (unpeeled for color) to the onions. I continued to cook the vegetable mixture just until tender and set aside. 

All was going quite well until I got the bright idea to top the vegetables with a light sprinkling of flaked sea salt.  Turns out, you have to be smarter than the container it's in to open it.  Finally I managed to get the lid off and sea salt went flying everywhere throughout my kitchen (and pan).  Needless to say, my dish got some salt and I will probably be finding salt in various hiding spots for the next few days.

I decided to add eggs to my dish as well, mostly because I didn't have anything else and felt we needed something besides bread and a few veggies for dinner. So I simply cracked two eggs into the pan and fried in a little butter until cooked through.

To assemble the dish, I placed a slice of bread onto a plate, topped with a fried egg and a spoonful of the vegetables. I also sprinkled a little cheese on top.

Despite the overly salty taste, this turned out pretty good. My daughter also seemed to like it.  Next time though, I will make sure to open the salt over top of the sink (just to be safe). I think that I would also finish it off with some fresh chopped basil and maybe add some ham or bacon or even use shredded chicken in place of the egg to make it a heartier meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment