Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Eggplant Taco's

When I set out to make dinner tonight, I had a plan. I still wasn't quite sure what it was that I was going to make, but still, I had a plan. Since I currently only have a 12" saute pan, the plan was pretty necessary because I have to do everything in stages, however because of one tiny little kitchen tool that I managed to overlook, my entire plan was changed. As it turns out, I don't have a can opener. Why is it that somehow the can opener is always the one thing that you end up not being able to find after a move? (Well, this is usually the case for me anyways, I can't even begin to tell you how many of them I've purchased over the years.)

Anyways, after having to completely change my original idea for dinner, things started to fall into place.  I chopped red onions and gypsy peppers, which were then added to the pan with some olive oil and minced garlic. This was heated over medium until the onion was beginning to brown. Next I added chopped tomatoes, yellow squash and eggplant to the pan, continued to cook until the eggplant was fully heated through and finished with red pepper flakes and a Mediterranean salt blend to taste.

To assemble the taco's, I placed a tortilla on each plate and placed a few rinsed and drained spinach leaves on top. Then I added a large spoonful of the eggplant mixture, a small amount of sour cream (I use Daisy brand because I think that it tastes the best, yum!), and sprinkled some cheese on top (I used gouda parrana, because I didn't have anything else).

I am actually pretty impressed with how this turned out. I personally have never heard of eggplant in a taco, but I guess there's a first for everything. My dishes seem to be getting a bit more creative the longer I have to go without an actual set of pans to cook with, this could be both a good and a bad thing (especially for Dylan).

No comments:

Post a Comment