Thursday, July 7, 2011

Halibut with Red Pepper Tomato Cream Sauce, Spinach and Yellow Squash

Since I'm getting my new bin tomorrow I knew that I had to use up some of my greens. While at work today, I was brainstorming with my daughter on how the best way to do this would be. We came up with fish.  When we got to the store, halibut seemed to be the best choice, so we picked up a small portion and brought it home with us.

To cook the halibut I placed it on top of a piece of foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray. I topped the halibut with a bit of pepper and salt, fresh thyme sprigs, fresh sage leaves and sliced lemon.  I then folded the foil to make a small package, enclosing the fish, and placed it into a glass baking dish. This was baked at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, until cooked through.

For the sauce, I added chopped garlic scapes, red pepper and tomato to a small saucepan with a bit of butter. I sauteed until the veggies were soft and added about a 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. I allowed this to simmer for just a few minutes before adding 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream and a tablespoon of tomato paste. I stirred until fully combined and cooked just until warmed through and slightly thickened, then added a pinch of white pepper.

The spinach was simply wilted in a bit of vegetable broth with some chopped garlic scapes and the yellow squash was sliced, quartered and cooked in a little bit of butter until softened.

After the dish was assembled, I sprinkled a some fresh grated parmesan on top of the halibut and sliced a bit of bread to go along with it.

This meal turned out great. My tummy is completely satisfied. I'll have to remember how I made this sauce the next time I'm looking for something quick, I could have eaten it right out of the pan. Yum.  Dylan was also pretty pleased with dinner tonight and now we are both ready for our new bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment