Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pepperoni and Kale Raab Soup

I had a lot of pepperoni left over from the pizza's that I made this weekend and this great looking bunch of kale raab so I thought that it might make a pretty tasty soup!  I started off by adding minced garlic, chopped onion and carrot to a medium sized pot with a little olive oil.  Once this mixture started to soften, I added chopped zucchini and mushrooms, a can of crushed tomatoes, 3 cups of chicken stock, 2 cups of water, a sprig of thyme, a one inch rind of gouda parana and some salt and pepper. When this began to boil, I added one bunch of chopped kale raab and a cup of chopped pepperoni and continued to boil for about another 15 minutes, just until the raab was cooked through but still had a nice bite to it. To finish, I topped the soup with some fresh chopped basil.

With so many different flavors going on I was a little worried that it might be a bit too much. However, they all worked very well together. This also made quite a bit of food, so I will probably be freezing half of it, even after the boys come home and eat dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment