Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grilled Kale Raab and Mashed Potatoes with Arugula and Goat Cheese

I couldn't decide on which of my veggies I wanted to use for my meal tonight and finally went with kale raab and arugula.  I knew that I didn't really want a salad though and after some further investigation in my fridge I found some potatoes! I decided that this is how I would use the arugula.

I started off by peeling the potatoes and boiling them for about 20 minutes.  Once they were done I added them to a bowl with some goat cheese, fresh thyme, a little butter, salt, black peper and milk.  I mashed these until all of the ingredients were fully mixed. Then I added chopped arugula to the potatoes and stirred until just combined.

For the kale raab, I decided that something simple would be the best way to cook these.  I started by trimming them and placing them in a bowl. They were then drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper and mixed to coat.  I heated a grill pan on medium high and grilled the kale raab for about 2 minutes per side and sprinkled with red pepper flake.  To finish I drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

For garnish I added a bit more goat cheese to top the potatoes and I used a cashew snack mix that I picked up from Whole Foods (it's from a brand Sahal and the mix was Sing Buri, a mix of cashews, peanuts, dried pineapple and sweet chile flakes).  I also served this with a side of coconut curry tofu that I discovered, it was a tofu snack pack, all I had to do was warm it up!

I think that everything turned out really good, although I started my grill pan off on high so the first few pieces of kale raab had a nice burnt flavor to them, but other than that I'm pleased.  The tofu was also a great addition and rounded out the meal quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment