Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stuffed Cucumber

This is a dish that I made for dinner one evening last week.  It was such a big hit that my daughter not only ate all of hers, but finished mine and had the leftovers for lunch the next day!

I started out by peeling my beautiful (and huge) cucumber, slicing it in half and scooping out the seeds. For the filling I mixed together ricotta cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese, the last of my garlic scapes, finely chopped onion, and minced mushrooms. I then filled both halves of the cucumber with the cheese mixture, poured a jar of vodka sauce over the top, sprinkled with cheese and chopped basil and finished with some sliced heirloom tomato for garnish.

This was baked in a 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes, long enough for the cheese to brown and the cucumber to be fully warmed through. I served some sliced french bread alongside.

After this meal, my daughter exclaimed "You can stuff anything!", and has been inspired to try and come up with a few of her own dinner ideas. I think maybe it won't be much longer and she will have a food blog of her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment