Friday, August 26, 2011

Eggs, Sausage and Potatoes

Well, this week I learned that not only should I not be allowed to cook when I'm extremely upset, but that I should also not cook when overly excited.  Both dishes I was looking forward to and both of them failed.



The first was a dutch baby topped with a mixture of pork sausage, cherry tomatoes, zucchini and red bell pepper.  I knew going into it that I should not be cooking, but had already purchased the ingredients and we were hungry, so I made the dutch baby. Should have been easy enough, a simple mixture of egg, flour, milk and a pinch of salt...I was sadly mistaken. It didn't rise! It was supposed to have gotten all puffy and yummy, instead it just sat there and cooked as if it were a cake! But I continued on with the sausage mixture anyways, in hopes that maybe it would still at least taste like it was supposed to. Nope, wrong again!  Although the sausage mixture turned out good, it did not go well at all with the egg cake. Fortunately Dylan enjoyed hers, but I think it was just more her knowing that I was in a bad mood and trying to do anything to try and cheer me up (plus she was probably starving by this point).



The second idea came from an abundance of potatoes and the leftover sausage mixture.  This day I happened to be in a wonderfully excited mood with so many great things happening that I think maybe my brain was a bit preoccupied. However, I had this great idea for dinner in my head and I was determined to make it.  I diced up the potatoes and cooked them in a pan with some garlic until they started to brown, added the sunburst squash, which was sliced, and then added the leftover sausage mixture from the previous night.  I also poached a few eggs, which proved a bit difficult as well (but I won't get into that right now).

Apparently, I should have checked my potatoes better because they were only half way cooked through and somehow I managed to add too much salt, which to be honest I hardly even remember adding.  I also know that this was a disaster of a dinner, because as hungry as Dylan was, she wasn't too thrilled with me for serving it to her (poor thing!).

So now the rule is that Jess is only allowed to cook when in an even, controlled temper. Hmm...this may pose as a problem, considering even tempered and controlled aren't words typically used to describe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment