Monday, March 21, 2011

Stir Fry Yumminess!!

I absolutely had to find a great way to showcase some of these wonderful vegetables, so a stir fry seemed like the right thing to do!

I made a sauce using minced garlic and ginger in a little vegetable oil over high heat.  I added in a mixture of rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and white pepper, brought this to a boil and added a cornstarch and water mixture to thicken.  To the sauce I added broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spring onions, red and orange bell peppers and some water chestnuts.  I cooked this just until the sauce was thickened and the asparagus was just beginning to soften.  This left the veggies still a bit crunchy (exactly the way that I like them, because I won't eat mushy vegetables) and only slightly softened.  I served this with a side of fragrant jasmine rice.

I have to say, this is probably my favorite stir fry ever.  Way better than any restaurant or store bought sauce and everyone had seconds tonight, so I have no leftovers (yay!).  I was even able to get the older boy in the house who eats nothing but cheese pizza, mac and cheese and canned pineapple to eat two plates of it!!  We were all pretty impressed that he was actually eating something that was good for him.  Dylan came to me and asked, "What is this stuff smothering my vegetables? It's delicious!".  I thought that was a pretty awesome thing to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment