Sunday, March 13, 2011

Seafood Pot Pie

I've been wanting to make pot pies for a while now, I figured tonight was as good as any to give it a try. So, off to Whole Foods I went to buy some seafood to go into them!

I started off by putting butter, onion, garlic and chopped chard into a large saute pan and cooked until the vegetables were soft.  Then I added a bit of flour, cooked for a minute or two and added some dry sherry, shredded gouda parrana and Old Bay seasoning.  When this was mixed, I added the heavy cream and cooked just until it began to thicken, removed from the heat and added crab meat, cooked shrimp, bay scallops, some chopped cooked potato and gold beets and mixed just until combined.  I divided the mixture between two individual serving dishes, covered them with puff pastry and brushed the tops with melted butter.

I baked the pot pies for about 40 minutes on 350.  By the time I removed the pies from the oven, the house smelled amazing! When these came out of the oven, they smelled even better and had a wonderful golden brown, flaky crust.  I couldn't wait to try it, but had to, because well, they were really hot! So after an impatient 5 minutes of letting them sit, I finally served it up and had my first bite.  Wow.  They turned out better than I had imagined and were well worth the wait and the effort.  Although, I won't be making this all of the time, because well, it was a bit on the pricier side to make, I will keep it in mind for special occasions.  Dylan and I are now pleasantly stuffed and got our seafood fix for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment