Sunday, March 13, 2011

Artichokes with Butter Sauce

Well, I promised Dylan artichokes, so it only seemed right to follow through with my promise tonight.  I placed some orange slices, onion chunks, capers, pink peppercorns, salt and pepper in a large pot.  After trimming the artichokes I added them to the pot and brought the water to a boil.

While the artichokes were cooking, I made the butter sauce.  It was supposed to be a hollandaise, but for some reason I haven't been able to get this to turn out since my first successful trial.  So, after whisking the egg yoks, lemon juice, white pepper and worcestershire and adding the melted butter, it started to separate.  I knew after the last time, that it would still taste good, it just isn't exactly what I was going for.  However, I put it into the small serving dishes anyways, and sprinkled it with paprika.  The sauce, turned into more of a two layer butter sauce. The first layer, the egg yolky one, had a melted cheese-like texture and tasted smooth and creamy.  The top layer, was a clarified butter.

When the artichokes were done, it was time to eat them!!  The artichoke leaves dipped in this sauce were SO good!  It was by far the best dipping sauce that I've ever made to go with artichokes.  I will be making sure that I remember this and I don't think Dylan will let me go too long without making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment