Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Bin 10/21/11

So many delicious vegetables! I love it!!!

Gold Beets with Tops
Parsnips
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Leeks
Red Cabbage
Acorn Squash
Collard Greens
Broccoli
Fennel
Banana Sweet Peppers
Honey Crisp Apples
Local Bartlett Pears
Bananas

I am so happy to have fennel today! This is a vegetable that I never expected to enjoy so much. Mostly because of it's close resemblance to black licorice when in its raw state (yuck!), but when cooked, fennel takes on a delicious, creamy texture with a wonderfully mild flavor to it. The collard greens are also a great item in my bin, a nice change from all of the kale we've had lately.

Red cabbage is one of those items that I'm still not quite sure what to do with. As much as I love the flavor of it, I'd like to find a way to use it outside of it's raw form in a salad. I've been trying to stay away from salads lately, I find that when I start making them I can't seem to stop and fall into a sort of salad funk. So no salads, at least not as a main dish.

I think that with all of the remaining produce from last week, in addition to my new bin, I should be able to come up with some really great meals. I'm thinking that I will try to make extra of most dishes so that they can be frozen and eaten on those days when I am just not in the mood to cook, but want something that doesn't resemble the cardboard box it came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment