Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Naked Burrito's with Broccoli Sauce and Nectarine Salsa

The other day when my mom was telling me about going home to make taco's for Taco Tuesday, I thought that it sounded really yummy. I started thinking of a creative twist to make my version and came up with a naked burrito.

I started off by making the salsa so that the flavors would have time to come together while I was making the rest of the meal.  I put chopped spring onion, minced garlic, chopped nectarines and tomatoes into a food processor and blended just until finely chopped.  I poured this into a small bowl with some lemon juice and sea salt.

Then I made the rice and started on the veggies.  I added chopped onion and minced garlic to a large saute pan along with some butter and olive oil. This was cooked until softened, then I added chopped yellow squash and asparagus along with some fajita seasoning.  The veggies were cooked until softened but still had a bit of a bite so that they didn't turn to mush.

For the beans I added one can of drained, rinsed black beans to a small sauce pan along with a 1/4 cup beef broth, some chopped parsley and ground red pepper and cooked until heated through.

The sauce was just simply the leftover broccoli soup from the other night that I brought to a simmer and cooked until it began to thicken up slightly.

To assemble this dish I placed a spoonful of rice into a bowl, topped with a spoonful of beans and veggies. I poured a little broccoli sauce on top and added a small scoop of the salsa along with some sour cream, avocado and a light sprinkle of parmesan cheese.  I also warmed a tortilla and served this alongside.

I have to say that this turned out surprisingly well for having so many interesting flavor combinations. Dylan loved it so much that she actually ate 4, yes 4 big bowls of this (along with two tortilla's)! Even Aidan, the picky eater that never eats my food, really enjoyed having the broccoli sauce on his rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment