Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fig and Pear Sauce with Pistachio Gelato

I had adriatic figs in my bin and didn't know how to use them. After doing a bit of research online, I decided that I wanted to make a sauce with them, but I also wanted to use up some of the other fruit that I had. Since my pears were reaching that really ripe stage, these were the ones to use.

I chopped the figs and pears adding them to a sauce pan with 1/4 cup of blackberry merlot and a tablespoon of rose blossom honey.  This was brought to a simmer and allowed to cook until beginning to thicken.

To serve, I scooped some pistachio gelato (Ciao Bella brand) onto a plate and topped with a few spoonfuls of the sauce.

Despite the fact that I do not like the gritty texture of the figs, it didn't seem to bother me in this sauce at all. I thought that the flavor of the figs and pears along with the wine worked very well together. Using the sauce to top my all time favorite gelato, was also an excellent idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment